It’s a new year and I thought I should write a blog post!
I haven’t played as many games as I would’ve liked because I’ve been focusing on writing my first novel and that’s taken up a lot of my free time. However, I managed to complete a grand total of 30 games in 2019 (if you count the three Starcraft games separately).
I mostly played short Steam games, but also a few longer things. Here’s what they were:
- Cat Quest (Switch) – surprisingly fun and addictive
- The Charnel House Trilogy (PC) – really good and creepy. I need to replay probably as I have the DLC now
- Dracula’s Legacy (PC) – not too bad as these games usually are
- The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Switch) – yes, I finally played Skyrim
- Frankenstein: Master of Death (PC) – pretty good hidden object game
- Greyfox (PC) – weird little game, but a good waste of an hour
- Hand of Fate (PS4) – got to the end and couldn’t beat the final boss 🙁
- Hero of the Kingdom (PC) – this was a pleasant surprise, good gameplay, perfect length, highly recommend!
- House of 1000 Doors: Family Secrets (PC) – not overly memorable but didn’t suck
- Labyrinthine Dreams (PC) – puzzles were a bit tricky, but I liked it for something different
- The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening (Switch) – weeee!
- Mystery Case Files: Madame Fate (PC) – not bad, though the interim puzzles hurt my brain.
- Mystery Case Files: Prime Suspects (PC) – okay but had a full screen bug like the other one.
- Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) (Steam) and Fox Tales DLC (PC) – I wanted to like this, but the PC controls were so infurianting I nearly smashed my controller, keyboard, PC, and the world.
- Octopath Traveler (Switch) – really enjoyed this to begin with, but it soon became very grindy
- Pic-a-Pix Deluxe (Switch) – needed to stop buying the new puzzle packs and play other games!
- Pic-a-Pix Pieces (Switch) – super addictive, see above
- Princess Isabella: A Witch’s Curse (PC) – a bit naff
- Princess Isabella: Return of the Curse (PC) – okay for a time waster
- The Secret of Hildegards (PC) – pretty rubbish
- The Silent Age (PC) – this was great, very cool ending. Highly recommend!
- Sinister City (PC) – bit silly but okay
- Soul Gambler (PC) – pretty cool narrative game
- Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty, Heart of the Swarm, and Legacy of the Void (PC) – I suck at strategy games, so I played with cheats. Don’t @ me.
- Storm Boy (Switch) – short but sweet
- Toren (Steam) – great concept but rubbish gameplay. Buggy camera, pitch black areas, fiddly. Bit of a shame because it wouldn’t been cool without all that.
- Untitled Goose Game (Switch) – honk!
- What Remains of Edith Finch (PC) – lonely and thought-provoking. Recommend!
I left the year with a few games started that I haven’t yet finished:
- Pokemon Sword
- Yokai Watch 3
- The Witness
- That horrible Phoenix Wright game I keep forgetting to go back to…
For 2020, I will probably continue working through short Steam or other PC games. I have a list of games that can be completed under 15 hours, so I can dip into those as I want to play something quick. I’m also planning to sink a LOT of hours into the upcoming new Animal Crossing game, plus the remake of Final Fantasy VII. I’m also hopeful for Bayonetta 3 and Cyberpunk 2077. With luck there will be a new Zelda too!